Saturday 30 January 2016

Going to the Ballet!

Having danced since the age of about 3, plus having recently performed in my dance schools version of sleeping beauty, playing the part of one of the faries, I was super excited when my mum told me we had tickets to go and see Matthew Bourne's Sleeping beauty, which is currently on tour. Ive been to many musicals, including Billy Elliot recently in the West end, but had never been to a Ballet, until yesterday!
So I thought I would create a little post showing what I wore, the restaurant we went to, and a few of my thoughts on the show  (a sort of going to the ballet get ready with me!) hope you enjoy xxx

I'd been looking forward to going for ages, so I knew exactly what I wanted to wear and how I wanted to do my make up... seems a bit pointless really, getting all dressed up to sit in a dark theatre. But I personally find the getting ready part really exciting! It wasn't totally wasted though as we did pop out to Zizzi's for a meal beforehand.
 I didn't really 'dress up' as such, I went more for the smart/casual look, with a pair of Topshop black joni jeans, a pretty lace top from Miss Selfridge, my trusty black New Look loafers, and my pastel pink coat from Miss Selfridge, with a faux fur collar- I love this coat, it was one of my best purchases all winter, it just instantly makes every outfit look classy and girly.
It's always difficult knowing what to wear to the theatre, as theres always such a mixture, some people will wear a smart dress with heels, while others literally throw on a jumper and jeans.





One of my favourite things about going to the theatre is going out for a meal before the show, I don't go out for dinner that often, so its more special when I do! I love italian food, so Zizzi's was the perfect choice, it's definitely one of my favourite restaurants, the atmosphere is always lovely, and the food is great too! 

 pasion fruit punch
arancini balls
 calzone pollo spinaci
sticky salted caramel pudding with caramel and lavender sauce





The Ballet!!! The show was absolutely amazing! my mum and Grandma really enjoyed it too! It goes without saying the dances and dancers were mesmerising, and so graceful,
 you couldn't look away. It was such a powerful story, Matthew Bourne portrayed the classic story of sleeping Beauty as a Gothic romance.
 Usually being the one up on the stage, it was great watching other people perform. I enjoyed it even more, being able to spot different ballet steps and moves (you never stop dancing). However Being used to watching musicals, I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of the way the story is portrayed, as of corse theres no dialogue or singing, but it was so easy to follow through the expressions of the dancers, and the choreography.
The costumes and sets were beautiful, and princess aurora was danced stunningly by Ashley Shaw. I definitely would love to go and see another Ballet some time. It was just such a perfect day, I would really recommend going to see a Ballet, if you love dance! obviously I have no pictures of the actual performance.


 I though I would throw in a couple of pictures from the Sleeping Beauty I performed in (no where near as good obviously!)





sorry about the bad quality
feel free to leave a comment, i'd love to hear of you've been to see a ballet or musical xx

Emma xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment