Monday 11 January 2016

The best Winter drinks

If your not a fan of hot drinks, then this one definitely isn't for you... it really won't be your cup of tea.

One of the best things about winter time for me is definitely the variety of hot drinks available. I mean theres nothing wrong with drinking a hot chocolate in the middle of August, but it's just not quite the same as on a cold winters day. I was never really a lover of hot drinks until fairly recently (basically after I started working in a cafe, surrounded by the smell of coffee.) I still hate tea though, I don't think any thing will ever change that. Call me un-british but I think it just tastes like dishwater! (not exactly, but I really can't stand it) I always felt a bit left out of the "tea" party, I was always that "do you have any squash?" or "i'll just have water thanks" friend. But now I feel I've grown up a bit, I really enjoy a cup of coffee or a fruit tea. And its great that there's so many options out there now, rather than just plain old black coffee. So I thought I would create a little post about some of my favourite winter drinks, enjoy....

Coffee: I don't mind a straight black or white coffee, I don't hate it, but I don't really love it, and I feel like I have to be craving it to have one. But I've recently become obsessed with all the different types of coffee you can get and make yourself. We have a coffee machine in the kitchen, and honestly it was the best thing to happen in 2015, I've become addicted, and even more so now that its getting colder. My favourite of all the coffe capsules is the Costa caramel latte, mum even went all out and brought posh latte glass so it's like drinking a coffee from starbucks! The caramel latte is delicious, it's sweet enough on its own without sugar, and at only 80 calories per serving, you can't really go wrong. Obviously its not quite the same as a caramel latte made with full fat milk from a caffe, but it comes pretty close.
The coffee machine we have is a Tassimo coffee machine by Bosch. it's so easy to use and you can get all sorts of capsules for it, including hot chocolate, although I prefer hot chocolate made using powder and milk. But it's defiantly worth getting a coffee machine if your a lover of coffee, you can make all sorts, I also love the cappuccinos! Its the perfect winter accessory.

A coffee that I have been absolutely loving, especially over christmas, are Gingerbread lattes! I'm still drinking them now, even thought the festive season is unfortunately behind us. But they are the honestly the nicest things ever!!! My first one was in costa, then I had one in Waitrose, so I decided that as these probably wouldn't be available past christmas, it was essential I get hold of some sachets to make my own... and I have to recommend Nescafe Ginger bread latte, unfortunately it's limited edition, but some shops may still be selling it, it's so nice it's like drinking a gingerbread man, and it's so quick and easy to make, no faffing around with milk, just add boiling water, and it tastes just like a gingerbread latte made with gingerbread syrup from costa, it's amazing, I can't get enough of them. Defiantly the perfect winter drink! Im not sure this one will work so well in the summer.
 Gingerbread Lattes are even better with cream, and a Gingerbread biscuit on the side!


Flavoured teas (Or fancy teas as I like to call them): Not being a fan or ordinary tea, I decided one day to try some flavoured tea's, and I found I really like them, they're perfect for a chilly winter morning. My favourite is Peppermint tea, I love the smell too! So if your like me and you don't like normal tea, give a fruity or herbal tea a go. They're also really good for you, you can get detoxing tea's. Flavoured teas are stupidly easy to get hold of too, the supermarkets sell millions of flavours, Teapigs make some great ones!

Hot chocolate!!! I love a good hot chocolate, especially after a cold walk on a winters day. The main reason I wanted to do this post, was to write about my love specifically for white hot chocolate. I feel like white hot chocolate is a fairly new thing, not many cafes sell it, so whenever I see one I have to get it, and it never disappoints. It can get a bit sweet though so if you don't have a sweet tooth, it's probably not for you! My favourite brand of white hot chocolate is Whittard's white hot chocolate. It's so tasty and so easy to make, just add 3 heaped tea spoons into a mug, and then add hot milk. A slightly lighter version of white hot chocolate, is the Options white chocolate.

 My favourite normal Hot chocolate has to be Galaxy instant hot chocolate, it tastes exactly like a warm Galaxy bar. But I know many people are divided as to whether they're a galaxy lover of a cadbury lover, personally I love Galaxy!
An alternative way to make a slightly more chocolatey and delectable hot chocolate is to melt solid chocolate of your choice into milk, the end result is a creamy, thick chocolatey drink, just make sure you mix it well or it may start to separate. I always find heating the milk to the right temperature to be quite difficult, but I have found the best way to tell if it's ready is to see if it's steaming slightly, if it is then its ready to go!
The best part about Hot chocolates is what you put on the top, whipped cream, squirty cream... you can't really go wrong. Of corse there has to be marshmallows too, I always put some on the drink before the cream so they melt, and then some on top. Maltesers are also a great idea, as well as a cadbury flake poking out the top of the cream... perfection. Hot chocolates are also ridiculously photogenic, so be prepared to see some pictures of amazing hot chocolates I've had/made!

So I hope this post gives you some inspiration to try lots of different Hot drinks this winter.
                                                                             kisses,
                                                                           Emma xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment